Vasileios is is a member of the Australian Psychological Society (APS), the APS Clinical College and a registered psychologist endorsed in Clinical Psychology with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Authority (AHPRA). As a clinical psychologist, he has worked for a sequence of years with adults, adolescents and children within the framework of various settings such as dual diagnosis drug rehabilitation units, a psychiatric hospital, a specialized department for the treatment of problematic internet use, child care departments, youth justice, mental health prevention units and private practice. Vasileios’ research interests include the areas of Behavioral Addictions and Developmental Psychopathology. In that context, Vasileios is a member of the European Association of Developmental Psychology (EADP) and the EADP Early Researchers Union. Considering his international academic collaborations, Vasileios maintains his research ties with the Athena Studies for Resilient Adaptation Research Team of the University of Athens, the International Gaming Centre of Nottingham Trent University, the University of Iowa, Palo Alto University, the Korean Advanced Institute of Science and Technology.
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Family-Systemic Therapy
Behavioral Addictions, Internet Addiction, Internet Gaming Disorder, Psychometric Studies and Bi-Factor Models
- Burleigh, T.L., Stavropoulos, V., Liew, L., Adams, B. & Griffiths M. (2017). Depression, Internet Gaming Disorder, and the Moderating Effect of the Gamer-Avatar Relationship: an Exploratory Longitudinal Study. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction (online first, 25/09/2017)
- Pontes, H. M., Stavropoulos, V., & Griffiths, M. D. (2017). Measurement Invariance of the Internet Gaming Disorder Scale–Short-Form (IGDS9-SF) between the United States of America, India and the United Kingdom. Psychiatry Research, 257, 472-478.
- Gomez, R., Stavropoulos, V., & Van Doorn, G. (2017). Factor Structure of Teacher Ratings of the ODD Symptoms in Children. Psychiatric Quarterly, 1-16.
- Stavropoulos, V., Beard, C., Griffiths, M. D., Buleigh, T., Gomez, R., & Pontes, H. M. (2017). Measurement Invariance of the Internet Gaming Disorder Scale–Short-Form (IGDS9-SF) Between Australia, the USA, and the UK. International Journal of Mental Health and Addiction, 1-16.
- Gomez, R., & Stavropoulos, V. (2017). Parent Ratings of the Strengths and Difficulties Questionnaire: What Is the Optimum Factor Model?. Assessment, 1073191117721743.
- Beard, C. L., Haas, A. L., Wickham, R. E., & Stavropoulos, V. (2017). Age of Initiation and Internet Gaming Disorder: The Role of Self-Esteem. Cyberpsychology, Behavior, and Social Networking, 20(6), 397-401.
- Stavropoulos, V., Gomez, R., Steen, E., Beard, C., Liew, L., & Griffiths, M. D. (2017). The longitudinal association between anxiety and Internet addiction in adolescence: The moderating effect of classroom extraversion. Journal of Behavioral Addictions, (0), 1-11.
- Stavropoulos, V., Kuss, D., Griffiths, M., Wilson, P. & Gentile D., F. A Multilevel Longitudinal Study of experiencing Presence in Adolescence: The role of Anxiety and Classroom Openness to Experience. Behaviour & Information Technology, In Press.
- Gomez, R., Gomez, A., Watson, S., Van Doorm G. & Stavropoulos, V. Cloninger’s Personality Dimensions and ADHD: A Meta-Analytic Review. Personality and Individual Differences, In Press.
- Stavropoulos, V., Kuss, D., Griffiths, M., Wilson, P. & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2017). MMORPG Gaming and Hostility predict Internet Addiction Symptoms in Adolescents: An Empirical Multilevel Longitudinal Study. Addictive Behaviors (Special Issue on Technological Addictions ahead of print)
- Stavropoulos, V., Gentile, D., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2016). A multilevel longitudinal study of adolescent Internet addiction: The role of obsessive–compulsive symptoms and classroom openness to experience. European Journal of Developmental Psychology, 13(1), 99-114.
- Stavropoulos, V., Kuss, D., Griffiths, M., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2016). A Longitudinal Study of Adolescent Internet Addiction: The Role of Conscientiousness and Classroom Hostility. Journal of Adolescent Research, 31(4), 442-473.
- Anderson, E. L., Steen, E., & Stavropoulos, V. (2016). Internet use and Problematic Internet Use: a systematic review of longitudinal research trends in adolescence and emergent adulthood. International Journal of Adolescence and Youth, 1-25.
- Stavropoulos V., Lazaratou H., Marini E., & Dikeos D. (2015). Low family satisfaction and depression in adolescence: The role of self-esteem. Journal of Educational and Developmental Psychology, 5(2) 109.
- Lazaratou, H., Stavropoulos V., Dikeos, D., Soldatou, A. & Charbilas, D. (2015). Self-esteem of Greek Adolescents: Changes in a Decade of Socio-economic Hardship. Adolescent Psychiatry 5 (1), 3-11.
- Stavropoulos, V., Alexandraki, K., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2013). Recognizing internet addiction: Prevalence and relationship to academic achievement in adolescents enrolled in urban and rural Greek high schools. Journal of adolescence 36, (3): 565–576.
- Stavropoulos, V., Alexandraki, K., & Motti-Stefanidi, F. (2013). Flow and Telepresence contributing to Internet Abuse: Differences according to Gender and Age. Computers in Human Behavior, 29 (5), 1941-1948.